Friday, December 1, 2006

The Pox Party.


I just finished reading the book The Pox Party. The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, V. 1 by M.T. Anderson. It was a little bit difficult for me to get into the book but after awhile it began to get interesting.

I really don't want to spoil the book for you so I am not going to reveal too much about the plot here. But I will tell you that the story is about a boy and his mother, royalty from a distant land who find themselves in America around the time of the Revolutionary war. They are being cared for by a group of philosophers at The College of Lucidity who refer to themselves by numbers, not names. Octavian and his beautiful Mother, Cassiopeia are treated with the utmost respect and privilege. Octavian receives the best education while his mother spends her days charming the philosophers with her wit and beauty.

Then one day Octavian discovers that his life is not as wonderful as it seems. He learns a dark secret about he and his mother that changes his life forever.

As I mentioned above, I really enjoyed this book as I read more and more of it. I can't wait to read the next volume to find out what happens next to Octavian. This book is very dark and serious. So if you are in the mood for dark and serious, this is for you.

Click here to find this book in SPL's catalog.

No comments: