Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Caddy Ever After

I just finished Caddy Ever After by Hilary McKay. It is McKay's fourth books about the unique Casson family. The series starts with Saffy's Angel, then Indigo's Star, and Permanent Rose. Set in England, it is the continuing story of an artistic family with four children. I really love the characters in this series. This particular volume is the story of the events leading up to the wedding of the oldest sister, Caddy. The book is written in first person, with each of the four siblings having a chance to tell their part of the story.

What makes this series work for me is that the characters just seem to come off the page. I've looked forward to each new volume as a chance to visit again with old friends. The family is unconventional, complicated, a little odd even, and their voices draw you into the story, making you want to know more. At the end of each book, I've found myself hoping that their will be another volume. If you are looking for a satisfying read with enjoyable characters, start with
Saffy's Angel, and you will find yourself reading all the way through to Caddy Ever After in no time.

No comments: