Friday, January 26, 2007

The Looking Glass Wars

Alyss Heart is the heiress to the Wonderland throne and is celebrating her seventh birthday when her evil Aunt Redd crashes the party with a big chip on her shoulder about the throne that she believes should be hers. Redd brings with her a bloodbath that forces Alyss to flee for her life and in doing so she finds herself in our world, trying to make sense of what has happened to her. The story follows Alyss's life in our world as well as what happens in Wonderland during her absence, culminating in a terrific battle between the forces of Black and White Imagination.

I'm a pretty big fan of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, so I was eager to check out Frank Beddor's take on the Wonderland story. I think my enthusiasm for the original text made it a little difficult for me to get into this retelling at first, but as I read the book I found myself becoming more and more interested in the plight of the Wonderlanders. I'm hooked enough that if Beddor ever writes a sequel, I'm sure I'll read it. If you want to get into the adventure of The Looking Glass Wars you can find it in the Spokane Public Library catalog by clicking here.

No comments: